Social Housing

What does social housing mean in the UK?

Social housing can differ from country to country, so it’s important to uncover what it means for UK citizens. So, what is social housing in the UK and how could it help you? Let’s find out!

Defined as lower-cost rented housing, social housing can be provided by any landlord that is registered with the social housing regulator. Known as social landlords, typically the landlord of social housing will be your local council or housing association.

As well as being far more affordable than private rented housing, social housing also gives tenants a sense of security by offering both greater financial and social stability. Some tenants may even secure an assured tenancy which allows them to live in their home for the rest of their life.

Not to mention, social housing is particularly useful for those who require more accessible accommodation. For example, people with a mental or physical disability or elderly persons, because council housing is often well-adapted to meet their specific needs.


Pick My Pad is committed to enhancing the property rental and buying experience for DSS recipients and those seeking affordable housing solutions. Our mission is to provide accessible, high-quality housing options that meet the diverse needs of our clients. By fostering an inclusive environment and leveraging our extensive network of properties, we aim to break down barriers in the housing market, ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to find a home that suits their needs and budget.


Our core offerings include a wide range of DSS-friendly rental and purchase options, designed to cater to the unique requirements of individuals and families in need of supportive housing solutions. We specialize in matching tenants and buyers with properties that not only meet their financial criteria but also provide a comfortable and secure living environment. Our services extend beyond simple property matching; we offer comprehensive support throughout the rental or buying process, including assistance with DSS applications and navigating the complexities of the housing market.

Value Proposition

The value proposition of Pick My Pad lies in our dedication to serving a traditionally underserved segment of the housing market. We differentiate ourselves through our commitment to accessibility, affordability, and compassionate service. Our clients benefit from our deep understanding of the DSS system and our ability to facilitate smooth and successful housing transactions, regardless of financial constraints. By choosing Pick My Pad, tenants and buyers gain a partner who is committed to their housing needs, offering personalized support and a broad selection of suitable properties.

What is the difference between social housing and council housing?

Social housing and council housing are similar – more so than affordable housing and social housing.

While it would seem logical that council housing is provided by councils and social housing is offered by housing associations, this is not always the case because the latter can also be offered by councils.

The key difference will be the type of tenancy agreement you choose to sign and the resulting rights you have to the property. As council housing is designated to those in most need, it is typically prioritised for those with dependent children, people with physical or mental disabilities, those who have been an institution, the armed forces or care, as well as families with a pregnant individual.

While this is not an exhaustive list of those who qualify for council housing, they are generally classified as those with the ‘highest housing need’. For those who do not qualify for council housing but still require a degree of support, social housing is the next best thing.

Contact us at Pick My Pad

Looking to put down roots in the Greater Manchester area? Pick My Pad is on hand to help. With decades of combined experience, specialise in providing free, no-obligation advice for both DSS and no-income tenants.

Boasting dedicated teams for letting, selling and buying properties, we’re experts when it comes to finding affordable properties for our clients. Having built a considerable base of local knowledge including detailed information about the best schools and crucial transport links, we offer a bespoke service to ensure we provide the best service for every client.

To discuss your housing requirements, please give us call on 0161 790 3999 where you’ll be directed to one of our friendly and experienced team members. Alternatively, you can also where we’ll be in touch shortly. You’re just a call away from discovering your perfect home.

Find out more about our latest investment opportunities

We are constantly bringing new properties to market so if you are looking to invest, please
drop us a line and we can talk you through what we have available.